ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.55.50 pmDear 5/6W,

Tonight your homework is to research the disease ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). The is a terrible disease that impacts the lives of millions of people around the world. The Ice Bucket challenge was set up to increase awareness about this disease and encourage people to donate to find a cure.

You will need to post three significant facts about this disease; you can statistics, facts and opinions from experts. You will also need to have a conversation about this disease with your parents and encourage them to write a post on the blog.

If you would like to donate to finding a cure for this disease you can visit this website.

http://www.mndaust.asn.au/Get-involved/Ice-Bucket-Challenge.aspx

Good luck!

Mr Williams

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE!!!!

64 comments

1. georgenadi

1.There is no cure
    2. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease,” is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.
    3As motor neurons degenerate, they can no longer send impulses to the muscle fibers that normally result in muscle movement. Early symptoms of ALS often include increasing muscle weakness, especially involving the arms and legs, speech, swallowing or breathing. When muscles no longer receive the messages from the motor neurons that they require to function, the muscles begin to atrophy (become smaller). Limbs begin to look “thinner” as muscle tissue atrophies.

2. Thomas mc

1.Als is a disease were the cells in your brain die.
    2.when they die it causes the cell that the part in your body was running collapses.
    3.At the moment there is no cure for motor neurone but hopefully we will find one in the combing years.

3. tomjimnick12

Here are my answers

1. There is no known cure.

2. It is a disease that affects the spinal cord and brain.

3. In the later stages of he disease you can become completely parylyzed.

It would of been better that. The video worked and wasn’t an image.

4. Dean

Hi Mr Williams,
    Here are my answers:
    1 Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis also known as motor neutron disease is a disease with with various causes such as muscle spasticity ,turning weak and having trouble speaking.
    2 In the U.S more than 5600 people get diognosed with it every year and there are currently around 30000 people diognosed at the moment . ALS is responsible for 2 deaths every 100000 people every year.
    3 As motor neutrons degenerate they can no longer send impulse to muscle’s
    Which makes them weak. Some symptoms include finding it hard to breath , talk and swallow .

5. gabby

1.We do not yet have a cure for ALS but, there is treatment which slows the disease progression.
    2.The disease is only affective to the spinal cord and brain.
    3.The muscles that help move air in and out of the lungs are severely compromised.

6. Tomm

1. 2 people are diognosed with it every day and 2 people die from it every day.

2. no cure

3. when you are diognosed with MND you normally have 27 months to live just over a year

7. Harry

In Australia approximately 1900 people are currently living with MND. It is estimated that there is 400,000 worldwide

MND is the name given to a number of diseases that effect the nerve cells that control the muscles that allows us to speak, breath, move and swallow. Theses nerve die

There is no cure for MND there is medication that may slow down the progression.

8. Andrew McLellan

This is a debilitating disease which affects many people and I feel for the sufferers families and friends.

I hope a discovery and cure for this condition and many others can be found soon to help those that suffer from it.

9. Jess :)

1. There is no cure… Yet! But there are treatments to help slow the disease progression.
    2. The disease affects your spinal cord and brain.
    3. ALS attacks the motor neurons, or nerves, that control all your muscle movements, from kicking your legs to swallowing a drink.

10. Tomm

This is Natalie Martin Tom’s Mum,
    ALS or MND as it is known as in Australia has received a lot of publicity through the ice bucket challenge. Many sporting teams have got behind this cause as a number of their athletes have now been diagnosed with it. This is a cruel disease as it takes away a person’s ability to speak, eat , walk, talk and eventually breathe. Let’s hope that everyone who does the challenge also donates money so that we can fund research for a cure.

11. Will L

ALS is not contagious.
    It is estimated that ALS is responsible for nearly two deaths per hundred thousand population annually.
    Approximately 5,600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year. The incidence of ALS is two per 100,000 people, and it is estimated that as many as 30,000 Americans may have the disease at any given time.
    Although the life expectancy of an ALS patient averages about two to five years from the time of diagnosis, this disease is variable and many people live with quality for five years and more. More than half of all patients live more than three years after diagnosis.
    About twenty percent of people with ALS live five years or more and up to ten percent will survive more than ten years and five percent will live 20 years. There are people in whom ALS has stopped progressing and a small number of people in whom the symptoms of ALS reversed.
    ALS occurs throughout the world with no racial, ethnic or socioeconomic boundaries.
    ALS can strike anyone.

12. alannahl

1.approximately 5,600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with A.L.S each year.
    2. A.L.S stands for amyotrophic, Lateral and sclerosis.
    3. A.L.S is when all the cells inside you die and harden your body stops movingand you just flop down.

13. Charlotte

1. ALS stands for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
    2. ALS is a disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.
    3. Pouring ice cold water over your head is a similar feeling of ALS.

14. Savannah

ALS is also known as motor neurone disease,Charcot disease and Lou Gehrig’s disease. Here are three facts about it.

1. ALS is a disease of the neurological system that causes the person to lose the ability to move their muscles.They might have problems swallowing, speaking, breathing and moving their arms and legs.

2 It is progressive and will eventually lead to the persons death as there is no known cure.

3. ALS can be managed by medications and physiotherapy to help ease symptoms, but it doesn’t stop the disease getting worse.

15. Renee

Renee here, Savannah’s mum. This is a very worthy issue to discuss as it still needs so much research to understand this neurodegenerative disease and to help the many families affected by it.

16. Sarah

The als disease affects the brain cells and spinal cord. It then affects the muscles so you have no muscle nourishment. If that happens, the muscle will waste away. The heart and body system does not change when you have ALS, they are not involved in the disease. The reason for this is because the muscle that they use is a different kind and their movements do not get controlled. When you eat, the system all happens automatically.

17. Marie

1. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.

2.Early symptoms of ALS often include increasing muscle weakness, especially involving the arms and legs, speech, swallowing or breathing.

3.Sadly, there is no treatment for ALS. The age people can get it is 40 – 70 years of age.

18. Alana p

1) people from 40 to 70 years old can get ALS
    2) There is no cure
    3) There are more than 30,000 people living with ALS

19. thomas23

1. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, is the Federal Government’s leading supporter of biomedical research on ALS. The goals of this research are to find the cause or causes of ALS, understand the mechanisms involved in the progression of the disease, and develop effective treatments.
    2. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), sometimes called Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a rapidly progressive, invariably fatal neurological disease that attacks the nerve cells (neurons) responsible for controlling voluntary muscles (muscle action).
    3. No one test can provide a definitive diagnosis of ALS, although the presence of upper and lower motor neuron signs is strongly suggestive. Instead, the diagnosis of ALS is primarily based on the symptoms and signs the physician observes in the patient and a series of tests to rule out other diseases.
    Thomas23 out!

20. liam

1. ALS is where your brain cells die and you cant move your arms and legs, you cant breathe properly and you cant talk.
    2. there is no known cure for ALS.
    3. ALS stands for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

• Alan Cubbon

The Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS/MND is a social media campaign that was initiated by Pete Frates, a former Boston College captain who is living with motor neurone disease (MND). Since Peter Frates posted his challenge online, the Ice Bucket Challenge quickly went viral and is now spreading across the world.
      The Ice Bucket Challenge is now being taken up by some of Australia’s most famous people, the first being Russell Crowe who was challenged by Ricky Gervais.

21. Lachie

1. ALS or often referred to as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease,” is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.
    2. ALS has No Cure but the Ice Bucket Challenge is trying to raise money and awareness so doctors can find a cure.
    3. ALS stands for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

22. Jean lee(Albert lee)

Hi Mr Williams
    Here are my answers
    1. ALS is not contagious
    2. ALS can strike anyone
    3.als is estimated that nearly 2 death per 1000 population
    Thanks Mr Williams ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Elissa5/6S

Hi my name is Elissa and Iโ€™m in grade 6 at St Bedes Primary School. I think your Blog is awesome I love how it is so interactive and all your topics are so cool, like this one the ALS ice bucket challenge, Iโ€™ve done it but I never looked up what it means but now I think I should itโ€™s great that they are raising money for it ๏Š At our school at the moment we are working on Inquiry which is science and my partner and I are researching about sound and thunder, and got to go on an excursion to ACMI to make a movie if u would like to check it out hereโ€™s the link http://swalsh.global2.vic.edu.au/2014/08/06/stars-of-the-green-screen-acmi-excursion-video/ What are you learning about for inquiry at your school, Have you been on any excursions lately? We are also doing author study which is similar to a project about a book report. We also went on camp to Waratah Bay in 2nd term, it was awesome and we also have father child coming up in October. What Camps do you have at your school? We also just had athletics day about a week ago, which would have to be one of my favourite days of the whole year and we have district coming up soon๏Š I also think itโ€™s really cool how you have ideas for your inquiry topic next term! Has your school done glogs in class? It is a really cool website you should try out if you havenโ€™t already. I hope I hear from you and maybe you can check out 5/6Sโ€™s (our) blog at-http://swalsh.global2.vic.edu.au/ and check out all of our Glogs, author study and other posts๏Š

24. calistak

Hi 5/6W,
    I am Alice and I am from a school called St.Leonards,
    We were really excited to explore your blog and get some ideas from your blog.
    We also loved your ALS ice bucket challenge! It was really funny and cool!
    We are so excited to do a google hangout with 5/6W and 5/6G, I hope we get to know each other better and share ideas for our class blogs!
    We also have a twitter account which your class can follow which is: @students_share
    Thank you very much!!!
    Alice

25. Holly

HI 5/6W and Mr Williams, I am Holly a student from 5/6G at St Leonard’s, I really liked visiting your class blog and looking at what you have been doing lately, you have definitely given us have some new ideas for our own blog. l have watched your videos and thought they were really creative! It looks like you had lots of fun with the ALS ice bucket challenge! Our whole class is really looking forward to having a Google Hangout with you about our Inquiry question ‘How might we express our personalities through art’! Come visit our blog at http://56withmissellis.global2.vic.edu.au/ .

• Mr Williams

Hi Holly,

Thanks for getting in touch. The ice bucket challenge was fun; I used it as an opportunity to discuss ALS and increase awareness with kids your age so I guess it worked ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great day

Mr Williams

26. Georgia

Hello there 5/6W!
    I am Georgia, a student from the class of 5/6G at St. Leonard’s! I really like your class blog, it is very creative and very interesting. The activities you do in your class look amazingly fun! Especially the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! Our teacher definitely won’t do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge because she found out that only twenty-seven percent of the money donated to the charity goes to research of this desease, and the rest goes to the pockets of the people who own the charity if you donate to
    America! You are welcome to our blog anytime, and here is the link:
    http://56withmissellis.global2.vic.edu.au/
    And our twitter handle is:
    @students_share

I am really exited about the Google hangout we are going to do very soon and can’t wait!

See you soon!

• Mr Williams

Hi Georgia,

Thanks for posting on our blog, your writing and spelling is excellent, well done! Thank you for the facts about ALS, we will have to find a better way to support medical research if that is the case.

Have a great day

Mr Williams

27. Miss Ellis

Hello 5/6W,

My name is Miss Ellis and I have come to visit your class blog because your teacher has been in contact regarding a google hangout about our learning this term and our visit to the NGV. We really enjoyed the experience and we are looking forward to hearing about your experience.
    We have been blogging as a school now for 2 years and we have found that it takes time for the community to learn about blogs and begin using them. After some time though, many of our parents and overseas friends began to realise that they could see what we do at school and slowly we have built up the traffic to our blog. We are beginning a new and exciting era which you are helping to launch – visits and communication with other classes and other blogs, and we are excited! It might be worth noting that the class associated with http://mrsect.global2.vic.edu.au/ is the class ‘next door’ to us. Actually we work in one learning space and always leave our doors open. The students tell everyone that they have 2 teachers and they know that they can ask Mrs Ta or myself about any of their work. Therefore many of our posts are similar as we work together most of the time and you will see them in our class photos and videos for this reason. You can learn more about our space by looking at http://56withmissellis.global2.vic.edu.au/tag/learning-space/ We also have a twitter handle which we would love you to follow @students_share.
    Some of the students from our class posted on your blog today and we are looking forward to learning about you in return. It is true when they say that I will not be completing the ice bucket challenge, I think it is vital that we support charity and raise awareness I just have a few of my own favourites I like to support instead ๐Ÿ˜‰ Our class did an amazing job of raising awareness as a part of their social justice work in term 1, you can view this link for more information: http://56withmissellis.global2.vic.edu.au/tag/social-justice/
    We look forward to hearing more about your learning and to our hangout in the last week of this term.
    Kind Regards.

28. Rita

Dear Mr Williams and class,
    Hi, Im from St Paul apostle north primary school and I have just wondered onto your class blog! Now looking at your blog it has packs of information and it is amazing to see that many members are participating!
    My opinion about the ice bucket challenge is a great way to make money and donate it to those that have ALC.
    Great way to step out of your comfort zone and help others!
    Visit my class blog at: missjenkinsclassroom.global2.vic.edu.au
    Have fun!
    From Rita:)

• Mr Williams

Hi Rita!

Thank you for visiting our blog. I will show your blog to my class and hopefully we can start sharing our ideas and experiences between schools.

Have a great week

Mr Williams

29. Laura 5/6H

Hello 5/6w,

I am Laura from St Leonard’s Primary School Glen Waverley. That would for sure be really cold! I really like the structure of your blog. It’s simple but affective. Good luck for the rest of the year.

From Laura ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Hiruni

Hi St Michaels!
    We’re 5/6H from St. Leonards.It’s great to know that teachers are getting involved with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Can you tell us more about ALS and how you can get it? Is there a cure for ALS or is it something that can’t be cured? Can you explain to us why we do the Ice Bucket Challenge and not something else? Is this a way we raise awareness?

Visit our blog which is:
    http://mrsect.global2.vic.edu.au/

If you have a twitter you can follow us. The twitter is on the blog.

From 5/6H

31. Elissa5/6S

Hi again it’s Elissa from 5/6S.
    Thanks for coming on to our blog and commenting on our ACMI videos they were really fun to make and enjoyable to watch ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so cool that your teacher has done the ice bucket challenge my teacher Mr Walsh has been nominated but hasn’t done it yet but here is the link for another classes teacher doing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4-lfcbFNA&feature=youtu.be its so funny to watch and so fun to do as well. I hope our classes can stay in touch via our blogs. Your blog is awesome and so interesting and I hope our whole class can visit it.
    Thanks again for visiting and commenting on our blog I hope we can keep in touch:)
    Elissa

32. Laura, Shannagh and Victoria

Hi 5/6w,

We are from St Leonard’s. Good job Mr Williams!!! It’s for a good cause. We look forward to seeing you on google hangout.

33. Jesslyn & Julia

Hi 5/6W and Mr.Williams,

We are two students from 5/6H at St.Leonards Primary School. We love how Mr.Williams has completed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to encourage people and students to donate or participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and to alert people about the disease. Thank you to Sarah who commented about our fun and amazing experience at Camp Rumbug. CAUTION: This camp site contains lots of muddy courses but don’t worry it’s all worth it, you won’t forget it!

We are looking forward to ‘meeting’ your class and Mr.Williams on Google Hangout. Thank you so much for posting great comments on our blog, keep checking our blog for more exciting posts!

What are you looking forward to for our Google hangout?
    What other exciting activities/ tasks do you do in class?

By Jesslyn and Julia 5/6H

34. Catherine, Angelique and Hiruni

Hi 5/6W!
    Both the classes have been on this blog, and it looks really cool! we went to camp Rumbug this year, it is so fun! there was heaps of mud, dirt and water. Some of our hobbies are: playing instruments, tennis, netball, sport, sleeping, fractions, aerobics, and much more. We’re all soo excited for the end of term google hangout! See you then!
    ~ Angelique, Catherine and Hiruni

35. Catie & Clare!!!!!!!!!

๐Ÿ˜‰ Hi 56W we are from 56G,
    Our names are Catie and Clare. We think that its fantastic that Mr Williams chose to do the ALS ice bucket challenge. We also think that it is really great that you raise awareness!
    How long have you guys been blogging?
    Could you look at our blog?
    Bye!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    – Catie and Clare

36. Lucas and Ethan F

Hi Thomas,
    We are Ethan F and Lucas D from St.Leonards 5/6G and we are happy to answer any questions you have for us and what we have been doing that we found interesting is making poems, doing division in maths, doing fractions in math and doing art. We are looking forward to the google hang out we hope we can keep in touch with you guys.

37. Queeny

Hi 5/6W! I am Queeny from St Leonards. I am so excited for the hangout. Everyone is talking about it. I know two students in your class. Savannah and Lucy. How cold was the water in ice bucket challenge! I have not done it before. I will see you on Wednesday.

From Queeny

38. Jasmine

Hi I’m Jasmine from 3/4LC,
    I would like to comment on the Ice Bucket Challenge Video Your class took it was great!, I liked how you got the whole class to watch!!
    Jasmine

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>